The Egg Drop.
It's actually 25ft/7.5 or so meters. Idk where I got 75m from. LOL. I probably heard the number somewhere and got them mixed up.

Today was the test run. None of my eggs broke~ But now I have to buy new bubblewrap for Monday.
(04-16-2013, 06:24 PM)Zarquad link Wrote:Any of you done this project before? It's part 1 of my summative. Any suggestions? We have to have 3 eggs dropped from 75m (all 3 eggs at once, in the same container), 3 times in total. We'll have a couple seconds to reapply tape or whatever inbetween. I should be able to get all 3 eggs out of the box within 20 seconds. The goal is to have all 3 eggs still intact (no cracks, no chips breaking off, etc).

Here are some rules:
Length, width, and height all have to be 25cm or less.
You can make it as heavy as you want, but the 2 lowest weights get extra marks.
You can't have things on the outside of the box to slow the descent (Ex. Wings, parachute).
No fluids can be in the container.
Each egg has to be in a ziplock bag.

I think those are the basic rules.
Put the eggs in a jar full of peanut butter. They should all be intact. Space them into a triangle, and make sure they are close enough to the lid, but far enough so they won't hit it.

Oh. Didn't realize peanut butter was a "fluid".
Goals:<br />Become Assistant on RPG and Forums [ ]<br />Get a MagmaHoundour F [ ]<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />FusionFall my friend<br />I wish I had more time to play<br />I shall play you 'til the end<br />As I think about it each day<br />I love FusionFall<br />Played beta 5 years back<br />I happily answered the call<br />And learned every single hack<br />Goodbye FusionFall<br />I wish I could play you more<br />CN doesn't care about you at all<br />I guess the fans lost the War
We can't use fluids/fluid-like substances.
(05-03-2013, 06:30 PM)emorox link Wrote:[quote author=Zarquad link=topic=5956.msg155121#msg155121 date=1366154659]
Any of you done this project before? It's part 1 of my summative. Any suggestions? We have to have 3 eggs dropped from 75m (all 3 eggs at once, in the same container), 3 times in total. We'll have a couple seconds to reapply tape or whatever inbetween. I should be able to get all 3 eggs out of the box within 20 seconds. The goal is to have all 3 eggs still intact (no cracks, no chips breaking off, etc).

Here are some rules:
Length, width, and height all have to be 25cm or less.
You can make it as heavy as you want, but the 2 lowest weights get extra marks.
You can't have things on the outside of the box to slow the descent (Ex. Wings, parachute).
No fluids can be in the container.
Each egg has to be in a ziplock bag.

I think those are the basic rules.
[/quote]
He said he didn't know where "he" got it from. Not where I got it from. He admitted his mistake. I don't need nerds like you to back me up.
EDIT: WOW, I JUST READ (MOST OF) YOUR POST NOW. SCREW THAT. You can ignore my post if you want, or you could choose to read it to increase your own knowledge. YOU CAN STILL USE THE IDEA OF THE NEWSPAPER BEING WRAPPED AROUND THE EGGS. JUST IGNORE THE PARACHUTE PART. ALSO, FILL YOUR BOX WITH FOAM OR A SPONGE. IT WILL SLOW DOWN TIME, AND THUS DECREASE THE IMPULSE. READ THE REST OF THE POST TO FIND OUT ABOUT IT. TALK TO ME ABOUT THIS EXPERIMENT ON CHATS. I THINK I CAN MAKE IT WORK TBH.

Zarquad, I'm not gonna read your entire post, but you can use the change in momentum, or impulse, and reduce the force acting on the eggs. Cover them up in newspaper. A LOT of layers. By a lot, I mean like at least 2-4 cm of newspaper around each egg. Then, attach string to each egg, and tie them up like that. Or however else you want to attach them. Simply make sure that each of them are covered. Then, attach a parachute to the top egg. Or if you bundle them all together, which I don't really recommend, you could attach a parachute to the combined egg/newspaper bundle.

What this does is that it makes the impulse as small as possible. By using the parachute, you increase the amount of air resistance by exposing a greater amount of surface area. This causes the velocity of the entire system to decrease. By wrapping newspaper around each egg, you also increase the time interval for the velocity to completely decrease to zero.

Impulse is the change in momentum, and momentum is mass times velocity. It is a vector quantity. When the eggs are at rest, before the drop, they will have zero momentum. By decreasing the velocity, you directly reduce the change in momentum.

Impulse is also the force multiplied by the time. You can assume the force is constant, since the changing force, over the same time interval, causes the same impulse as the average force. It's like an upside down parabola, but not quite. It's like a wavy curve. You get the idea though. Anyway, since the force is gonna be constant, and you increase time, you will basically reduce the force acting on the eggs.

We had a question regarding an egg drop experiment on our test, and this suddenly came to mind. The two situations were newspapers rapped around an egg, and a parachute attached to one. But they were separate though. So if you combine them, your eggs shouldn't break.
Take newspaper, wrap it around each egg. Make it a good thick layer. Then, take a sponge, and tape it around each egg separately, and then combine the eggs together, and put a sponge around that whole thing. Put it in the box, and fill any leftover space with sponge. Also, be sure to apply the strong grey tape to all the edges of your box, so that it doesn't break. Or, tbh, you wouldn't really need the tape if you go with the sponge idea.
(05-03-2013, 06:28 PM)Zarquad link Wrote:It's actually 25ft/7.5 or so meters. Idk where I got 75m from. LOL. I probably heard the number somewhere and got them mixed up.

Today was the test run. None of my eggs broke~ But now I have to buy new bubblewrap for Monday.

I ALREADY GOT A MUCH LESS THOUGHT OUT CONTAINER THAT WORKED. LOL. I DON'T NEED HELP ANYMORE. AHA.

I just got a box from UPS along with some big bubblewrap. I wrapped each egg up in some bubblewrap and kept it tight with a couple of elastic bands. I covered the walls of the box with bubblewrap, put the eggs in, and filled the rest with cut up pieces of styrofoam.
I skimmed through your points and they're all REALLY obvious. As in "everybody knows that" kinda obvious. OF COURSE IF I MAKE IT LIGHTER, IT'LL TAKE A LONGER TIME TO FALL. OF COURSE IF IT TAKES A LONGER TIME TO FALL, IT WON'T HIT WITH AS MUCH IMPACT. YOU JUST EXPLAINED THAT STUFF USING PHYSICS. LOL.

Though, when calculation and write up time comes, they'll probably ask me to explain how my box used my knowledge of physics to make the eggs survive, so that's when your lengthy explanation will come in handy. Though most of that stuff isn't in my curriculum.
So? You can say you did research. Just be sure to cite this thread.